We never want to think about it, but there comes a time when your home becomes too much. It’s time to downsize, whether you are moving back closer to family or going to a smaller place. The question is, “What will I do with all my stuff?”
Hiring a professional estate sales company can make this tough chore a lot easier. Here are a few tips:
- Pick a good Realtor who will help coordinate the estate sale with the sale of your home.
- Decide what you want to keep and remove those items. Remember once it’s gone, it’s gone.
- Invite your family to take what they would like. It’s best to keep your family keepsakes in the family, where they will be treasured by your loved ones.
- Interview several estate sale companies. Their fees are often around 30% of the sales. These companies keep up on the current prices. Remove anything that’s not for sale, because they will sell everything. If you’re selling for a deceased family member, be sure to check every item for money and valuables that may be hidden in books, clothes and furniture.
- Donate the rest to a local thrift shop that will pick it all up. Be sure to get a receipt so you can claim a tax deduction for the donations.